Who doesn’t love a good pasta dish? But eventually the heavy tomato or alfredo sauce covered variety becomes boring and not to mention super high in calories.
What if you could have the pasta that you love but a slightly healthier version?
Don’t get me wrong, pasta isn’t a “diet” food. Carbs are definitely my worst enemy. However, removing the heavy rich sauces can at least save your waistline a little bit. Throw in fresh veggies and BAM! you have a lighter version of one of your favorites. I used two of my favorite veggies, zucchini and mushrooms, but you could use any veggies that you prefer.
This meal is packed full of flavor and simple to make. It only takes 30 minutes to make so it makes it’s way into my popular 30 Minute Meals!
If you can’t seem to come up with new dinner ideas, I’ve got you covered. Let me know what you think in the comments! And if you love it, please pin and share! Happy eating!
Italian Herb Chicken and Veggies over Spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 zucchini
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lemon
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 5 tbsp sour cream
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chicken stock concentrate
- 10 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- Start by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spaghetti and cook until al dente aprox. 8 minutes.
- Once pasta is cooked, reserve a cup of pasta water then drain the rest. Toss spaghetti with a small drizzle of olive oil and set aside. This will prevent the pasta from clumping together.
- While pasta is cooking, Wash zucchini and cut into round slices. Then cut each round into quarters. Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Then slice them into ½ inch thick pieces. Zest lemon and cut it in half.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan. Add zucchini and mushrooms. Cook until softened and slightly brown. Add salt and pepper and half the minced garlic. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
- While veggies are cooking, pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Slice chicken breasts in 1 inch slices. (This is optional, you can cook chicken whole and then cut if you prefer)
- Combine in a small bowl, garlic powder, oregano, basil, parsley, and pepper. Sprinkle over chicken and makes sure the seasoning is on all the chicken pieces.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in the same pan you used to cook veggies. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
- In pan, add olive oil, the rest of the minced garlic, lemon zest. Add half of the pasta water, stock concentrate, and lemon juice from half a lemon. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly. It will still be thin. Remove from heat.
- Combine sauce, spaghetti, veggies, chicken, sour cream, and butter. Toss. Salt and pepper. Top with parmesan cheese.